South Kintyre Development Trust (SKDT) has an area wide remit for the regeneration and development of South Kintyre, including Campbeltown.
Community consultation activities and informal discussions carried out by SKDT illustrated that key issues include:
- Decrease in community halls
- Empty buildings available in the centre of Campbeltown
- A lack of adequate low cost accommodation for lease to third sector organisations
- Rising demand for community space
Unexpectedly Red Cross Halls were being sold off nationwide much to the consternation of many local people and smaller groups who used the hall. SKDT concluded that the central location and condition of the building made it the perfect choice to provide low cost facilities, storage space and a resource for volunteers. Income generated will protect the building for future generations and increase the sustainability of SKDT by providing a small income.
Funding was applied for and granted by the Scottish Land Fund (SLF), which allowed SKDT to purchase the building and keep it in use for the community.
The Scottish Land Fund is being delivered on behalf of the Scottish Government by a partnership between the Big Lottery Fund and Highlands and Islands Enterprise. Please note: there are no lottery funds used in the Scottish Land Fund.
The building has some architectural significance. According to “The Campbeltown Book” The Roman Catholic congregation built its own school, St Kieran’s, in Kirk Street in 1880 and closed in 1970. The hall seems to be an extension of this and was named the “Guild of the Cross” hall which was later purchased by The British Red Cross.
SKDT aim to:
- Encourage the widest possible use of the hall for community activities
- Offer a varied and thriving multi-purpose venue to the community
- Increase activities and services for volunteers
- Achieve enough income to cover all running costs with a small surplus for SKDT for reinvestment in community projects
The hall is currently undergoing some minor cosmetic repair/refurbishment and should be ready for letting on completion.
Full details of the facilities will be available soon.
If you are interested in hiring this space please get in touch using the contact form or call us on 01586 552870
We need a new name and we would love to hear from you with a suggestion suitable for this important community space.